BLACK PEPPER CHICKEN RECIPE
Black pepper chicken is a south Indian chicken preparation mainly known for its aroma and mouth-watering taste. It is a hot and spicy dish served commonly with chapati or rice. It is an absolute treat to enjoy when the days get gloomy and dull or cold. The best part of preparing Black pepper chicken is that it doesn’t require any particular ingredient. Only black pepper serves the sole purpose. Hence, it is an incredibly simple cooking recipe, which gets finished within minutes and is an absolute lip-smacking delight.
As black pepper is a dish of south Indian origin, there are many ways you can follow for cooking. However, it would be best to use freshly grounded pepper as your special ingredient and other basic spices. The black pepper tends to add a zing and mild heat to the dish. Also, it makes the dish a champion at the dinner table.
Black pepper chicken is different from traditional Indian chicken preparations because it takes much fewer spices while cooking. Also, it is moderately hot and can be made both dry or with gravy.
Now, let’s get going with the ingredients and steps to follow while making this chicken.
- 200 – 300 gm of chicken
- Freshly ground black pepper powder
- Lime juice
- Salt(according to taste)
- Jeera and cumin
- Two slit green chilies
- Chopped onions and tomatoes( 2 each)
- Wash the chicken pieces thoroughly and rinse them off any impurities. Once the chicken has been washed, we marinate it carefully with a paste made from ginger, garlic paste, salt, and turmeric.
- Chop down the onions and tomatoes into small pieces. Crush the black pepper roughly and set it aside for later use.
- The next step we follow in preparing pepper chicken is that we hear a pan and add oil. We wait for the pan to get heated up. When it gets heated up, we add the spices like cumin, cloves, cinnamon, and cardamom. When they start sizzling due to heat, we add some more ginger garlic paste to them.
- We keep the entire mixture in the oven for quite some time. And must take care that the natural smell of the ginger garlic paste disappears steadily. We must continue frying until and unless the natural odor of the ginger garlic paste has disappeared. However, we must stay cautious that we don’t burn the entire mixture. All our hard work will be in vain by then.
- In the next step, we add onions into the frying pan. The process of frying keeps on continuing. It is best if the onions are fried until and unless they turn light brown or golden.
- We keep adding essential ingredients to the pan to make our black pepper chicken taste delicious. Hence, we add freshly chopped tomatoes and sprinkle some salt over them. We must take care that the frying must continue until and unless the tomatoes become mushy and soft.
- In the next step, we utilize the roughly grounded pepper and introduce it in the frying pan. Black pepper serves our purpose as the special ingredient that gives the dish its unique name and tastes it more. We also add a bit of red chili powder and garam masala. You must be careful with the amount of red chili powder you add. It should be according to your taste and the amount of spice your people can endure.
- We have kept adding ingredients to the frying pan for making black pepper chicken. They are fried over a medium flame. It takes a time interval of four to five minutes until a thick paste gets prepared. We must see to it that the moisture from the tomatoes evaporates completely, and they are dehydrated. You will know you have done everything right once you start getting the aroma of black pepper and garam masala originating from the mix.
- Finally, when we put the oven down,w have dry tomato and onion mix, which smells delicious.
- Now, we reach the chicken we left for marinating in the first step. We add marinated chicken pieces to the pan and start frying again. We continue frying for three to four minutes until the chickens start turning white. They need to be blended and mixed with the thick onion paste we previously prepared thoroughly.
- We smother the flames to a minimum and cover the pan. In the following steps, you should cook with the cover put on.
- As the flames have been put off to a minimum, we occasionally lift the cover and stir the contents in the pan. Moisture trapped in the chicken oozes out steadily. The steam let out by the chicken depends on the quality of the chicken we use. If we see no moisture escaping from the chicken, pour very little water into the pan.
- We switch the oven off and take it down when the chicken is finally cooked. Now, the pepper chicken has gravy which tastes delicious. We can add 3 to 4 tablespoons of coconut milk to the gravy and stir well to enhance the taste. However, we should take care that we stir and cook the gravy until bubbles appear.
As we stated above, pepper chicken is a south Indian cuisine and can be cooked in both gravy and dry ways. All the steps discussed here helps us to prepare Pepper Chicken Gravy.
It is best if the gravy is cooked over a low flame.
TIME TAKEN:- 20 minutes approx
More Home Chicken recipes
- Chicken Sizzlers With Continental Style
HOW TO PREPARE DRY PEPPER CHICKEN?
Pepper chicken gravy is an absolute delicacy to be enjoyed by all. However, some may prefer the entire preparation dry or without gravy. It is no separate process; it’s just a bit different in its steps.
To make cook pepper chicken dry, we remove the lid in the first place. Then, we keep frying the chicken until and unless the moisture evaporates and the mix and the spices cling well to the chicken.
WHAT ARE THE BEST WAYS TO SERVE PEPPER CHICKEN?
Pepper chicken is a perfect main course meal and it best when it is served with naan/chapati or rice/rasam. Before serving, the dish can be garnished with chopped onion wedges.
HOW TO SPICE UP PEPPER CHICKEN MORE?
Black pepper chicken is a mildly spicy and hot dish. However, if you want to spice it up more, you can add some extra amount of chili powder or use a special chicken masala, known as the “Chettinad chicken masala”. This is quite a famous masala made from a mixture of spices like coriander, cumin, jeera, cardamoms, clove, etc.
Preparation of pepper chicken has a versatile technique and can be cooked quickly. However, we need to be cautious about the number of spices we use.
SOME RELATED ARTICLES