One of the spiciest chicken delicacies of South Indian cuisine, which is delightful for all meat lovers, is Chicken 65. It can be cooked on any occasion and is super easy to make.
This chicken 65 recipe will help you prepare a delicious, spicy, and authentic South Indian chicken dish within an hour.
It is a tasty chicken starter that you can try cooking at your next house party. With this easy chicken 65 recipe, your friends and family are sure to shower you with compliments. Children will love the spicy and crispy chicken 65 in their snacks.
It is cooked by marinating the chicken in spices and flavoring it with tomato ketchup and yogurt. It is also perfect for occasions like birthdays, kitty parties, and anniversaries. Bite-sized chicken pieces are marinated and deep-fried in this chicken recipe.
This interesting chicken recipe is a perfect combination of spices, tangy yogurt, and juicy chicken. To prepare this appetizer dish more accurately, you can dry roast the spices separately and grind them. This enhances the taste of the chicken recipe and makes it more aromatic. You can add your own twist of flavors to this crispy and tasty chicken recipe.
All the spice lovers out there will love this dish as it is high on spice quotient. The taste of this dish depends a lot on the marinade. If you want to make it slightly less spicy and creamy, then adding some fresh cream would do the trick.
If you want to make it more aromatic, crush dry curry leaves and use them for marinating. This melange of southern spices and tender chicken makes for a perfectly seasoned dish to relish. You can pair this easy snack recipe with drinks of your choice.
This unique preparation is especially from Madurai in Tamil Nadu, India.
If you are thinking about preparing this dish, given below is the detailed recipe of Chicken 65
along with explanations that might help you understand how to cook this particular dish.
There can generally be two types of preparation for Chicken 65
1. Spicy Chicken 65
Marinated in a pool of spices, turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin powder, and coriander powder, this chicken 65 recipe has chicken breasts which should be cut into strips and deep-fried, and then tempered with a spicy mix of peppercorns, mustard seeds, curry leaves, and red chili right before serving. Find the recipe here.
2. Kerala Style Chicken 65
This particular chicken 65 recipe from Kerala contains boneless chicken pieces of the thigh, which are marinated in spices combined with a tang of lemon juice and then combined with a fiery mix of ground red chilies, turmeric, fennel seeds, black peppercorns, cinnamon sticks, cumin seeds, and curry leaves. The chicken is then fried until it becomes golden brown, and then it is served with a spicy dip. Find the recipe here.
Try the sizzling recipe of chicken 65 and let us know your experience in the comments section below.
Check out these recipes as well.
- Velvety Chicken Chest In Mustard Sauce
- Chinese Chicken recipes
- Continental chicken recipes
- Peri peri chicken
- Spicy and sticky Korean chicken
- 300 gm chicken breast, which should be cleaned and cut into small cubes (boneless)
- One-fourth cup thick plain yogurt (or 1/2 cup buttermilk)
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tsp rice flour or cornflour (corn starch)
- A fistful of curry leaves
- 2–3 cups of oil for frying
- 1 tsp vinegar (optional)
Instructions while cooking which are to be kept in mind:
- It’s important to fry the chicken in less heat; otherwise, the outside will start to begin while the inside remains raw. If you want the color you see in restaurants, you have to add red food color.
- If you don’t have corn flour, use rice flour to give the outside a crispness.
My recipe was not very spicy so adjust the heat level to your preference. Using Kashmiri chili powder will give your chicken a brighter color than regular chili powder without using food colors.
- If the marinade is very thick, you can add some water
- If your yogurt is not much sour and you don’t have vinegar or don’t want to use it, add a few drops of lemon juice to the marinade
CHICKEN 65 BIRYANI
Chicken 65 Biryani is a special type of biryani where the cooked rice is layered with the chicken 65 masala and other spices, and dum cooked with perfection.
- For Chicken 65:
- 1-kilogram chicken (washed & cut into medium pieces)
- 5 tbsp yogurt
- 1 tbsp chicken tikka masala powder
- Pinch orange-red food color
- Oil for deep frying. (3 to 4 cups)
- 10 curry leaves
- 10 whole green chilies.
- Marinate for Chicken :
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 4 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- One tbsp each grated ginger & garlic
- 2 tbsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 egg
- Half tbsp vinegar
- Salt to taste
- For Biryani Masala:
- Two large onion chopped
- Three medium tomatoes chopped
- Four green chilies with a slit (medium hot)
- Four dried plums (optional)
- A handful of mint leaves chopped
- Three tbsp ginger & garlic paste (combined)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp red chili powder (medium hot)
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp Garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Whole Spices: 2
- For preparing Chicken 65: Combine all ingredients to marinade in a glass bowl, add the chicken pieces and mix them well. Place it inside the refrigerator for 1 hr. Heat the oil for deep frying and fry chicken pieces till it is done.
- Heat some oil in any pan and fry the curry leaves and whole green chilies for few seconds. Remove it from the pan.
- Then in the same pan, add yogurt mixed with one tbsp tikka masala powder and red food color. When the yogurt starts bubbling, add chicken pieces to it and cook until the yogurt is dry and the chicken is well coated. Turn the heat off and add fried curry leaves and green chilies.
- For making Biryani Masala: Heat half cup cooking oil in a saucepan and add all the whole spices. Add two onions chopped and fry till lightly golden, along with four green chilies (with slits) and chopped mint leaves. Add three tbsp ginger & garlic paste and fry for one To this add, three tomatoes which are chopped, and cook till it is soft. Now add all the spice powders like half tsp turmeric, two tbsp red chili powder, two tbsp coriander powder, and one tbsp cumin powder. Start cooking on low flame for 5 minutes till aromatic and oil separates. Then add 1/2 cup yogurt, salt, one tbsp lemon juice, one-fourth tsp garam masala powder, and one cup fresh coriander leaves. Place the lid and cook for 5 minutes more. Then add the prepared Chicken 65 to this masala, stir gently. Add half cup water and cook on low flame for 5 minutes.
- To prepare the rice and dum cooking: Wash the rice and soak it for thirty minutes in water. Heat a large vessel (which will be used for dum cooking) filled with water. Bring to a boil and add two bay leaves, cardamom, cinnamon stick, dried lemon, vinegar, oil, salt. Add the soaked rice and keep cooking till it is 90% complete. When you check the rice, it should be firm and not fully cooked. Hence drain the rice in a colander and set it aside.
- For Dum Cooking: In the same pan, pour in the hot chicken gravy. Take half of the cooked rice and sprinkle with a few drops of milk + rose water + color mixture. Sprinkle a handful of fried onion and coriander leaves along with a pinch of garam masala. Repeat step six with the rest of the rice. Make some deep dents in the rice such that the steam can circulate easily. Pour in some ghee or butter over the rice and close the vessel with a foil and a lid. (to avoid the steam from leaving). Cook on medium-low heat for fifteen minutes. You will see that the foil has puffed up due to the smoke. Turn off the gas and let the biryani stay covered for another 15 minutes. Serve hot with Raita or salad.
Is Chicken 65 Healthy?
Chicken 65 is not healthy food because it calls for the chicken to be deep-fried, making it highly caloric and fact-intensive. However, making homemade Chicken 65 can make this unhealthy food into a healthier option that provides more protein with less fat per serving.
Chicken 65 Nutrition
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Protein: 26.6g53 %
Carbohydrates: 13.4g4 %
Dietary Fiber: 1.4g6 %
Fat: 17.3g27 %
Saturated Fat: 3g15 %
Cholesterol: 105.3mg35 %
Vitamin A Iu: 1181.2IU24 %
Niacin Equivalents: 15.9mg122 %
Vitamin B6: 0.6mg36 %
Vitamin C: 5.1mg8 %
Folate: 20.2mcg5 %
Calcium: 98.8mg10 %
Iron: 4.4mg24 %
Magnesium: 57.4mg21 %
Potassium: 399.9mg11 %
Sodium: 1334.2mg53 %
Thiamin: 0.1mg9 %
Calories From Fat: 155.5